Sunday 8 May 2016

12 Ignorant Things Women Who Wear Hijabs Are Sick of Hearing



OK first, a Very Brief Note about hijabs: the term usually describes the headscarf that some Muslim women wear, but it can also refer to the covering of a woman's hands, chest, and feet. Also, men have their own versions of a hijab. Wearing a hijab is an obligation in Islam,
but whether or not a Muslim person decides to adhere by it, well, that ain't yo' business. Some Muslim women wear a hijab, some Muslim women get weekly blow-outs and flip their hair all over the place.
With great hijab comes great responsibility - and a tons of uncomfortable situations and misconceptions. And yes, there is a difference between genuine curiosity and obnoxious ignorance. I encourage the former.
1. "Do you shower with it on?"
Ah, classic. I don't understand why people assume the hijab is glued to our heads or something. I promise it comes off. And not only when we shower.
2. "You're so lucky you don't have bad hair days."
This is true. At least to the public. But I'd just like to point out that bad hijab days exist, too. And even when you're having a supposedly "good" hijab day, the wind always manages to mess shit up for you.
3. "Can I see your hair?"
Would I be wearing this if you could see my hair? Sit down, child. (Women, kids, and male family members are the only exception.)
4. "Oh your friend is Muslim? So why doesn't she wear the headscarf too?"
Maybe because that's a personal decision she has made and it's meant to stay between her and God? Also, how does this answer affect your life in any way? Keep scrolling.
5. "Does your dad make you wear the headscarf?"
Funny story: I remember when I first told my parents I wanted to put on the hijab. They both thought I was joking and walked away (but, of course, they're always super proud of me). So to answer your question, go back and read no. 4.
6. "Do you get hot in the summer?"
No. Never. The minute you put on the hijab, you are no longer a mammal.
OF COURSE IT GETS HOT. Hijab is all about da struggle. It's not meant to be easy.
7. "At least in winter you don't have to worry about wearing a hat."
Actually, yeah, that is pretty nice.
8. *sees someone else wearing a hijab* "Is that your sister/friend/cousin?"
Yes. Every girl you see wearing the headscarf is my child. Jokes aside, it's more like the Cheetah Girls song:
'Cause we are sistersWe stand togetherWe make up one big family though we don't look the sameOur spots are differentDifferent colors
Ya feel me?
9. "Your scarf is pretty, but you shouldn't wear it next time you fly."
Yeah, I'm putting a specific TSA agent on BLAST. She went on to say it was because the material signaled the metal detector (more like your Islamophobia did).
10. "Do you have hair under there?"
Do you have a brain in there? It's covered, but that doesn't mean I don't cut it, dye it, style it - come on people. Just because you can't see it does not mean it doesn't exist.
11. "Were you born with it?"
Or maybe it's Maybelline.
Yes, I have really been asked this. Please just take a step back and really think about your question for one second.
12. "Where are you really from?"
I don't get it.
I could go on, but I won't, because generally, hijabis want you to ask (nice, reasonable) questions and love to talk about our choice to wear hijab. But no - you cannot "try it on."
This article was contributed by a writer from the Muslim women's online magazine, MissMuslim. To read more from MissMuslim, visit MissMuslim.nyc or follow them on FacebookTwitter, and Instagram.
Follow Nihal on Twitter.
Source: Yahoo! celebrity

No comments :

Post a Comment